Pillows with pizazz? That’s what we’re talking about. And flair is easy to achieve with pompoms. Pompoms are fun to make and add personality, color and texture to basic pillows. See how to attach pompoms to pillow corners or use them to decorate a pillow top.
- 2-in-1 Pompom Maker – we used tangerine disks to make 1-1/2” pompoms
- Yarn for pompoms – will vary based on size and design use of pompoms
- Pillow – purchased or handmade
- Dritz Home® 5” Decorator’s Needle
- Prym Ergonomic Crochet Hook
- See-Thru Ruler
- Mark-B-Gone® Marking Pen
- Stainless Steel Fabric Scissors
1. Mark desired placement of pompoms on pillow at front and back. If pillow is purchased and cover can be removed, it is easier to mark on a flat pillow than a stuffed pillow. If making your own pillow, make marks before stuffing or placing on pillow form. Tip: Add an extra inch of spacing around the outside of your markings to allow for the curve of the pillow. Replace cover on pillow form or stuff.
2. Make your pompoms. This technique post will give you tips and take you step-by-step through the pompom making process. Cut a 1-yard (folded to 18”) piece of yarn to tie off pompoms. This will give you plenty of length to tie pompoms on pillow.
3. Trim pompoms to desired size. Make sure they are all close to the same size. Do not trim yarn ties that secure yarn ends of pompom.
4. Thread one double strand of yarn tie through the 5” Decorator’s Needle. Position needle point on one side of a mark.
5. Push needle straight through pillow and out the back side of the pillow at the corresponding mark. Pull needle until yarn tie comes out the back.
6. Remove yarn from needle and thread remaining yarn tie onto the needle. Position needle point on other side of mark. Push needle through pillow and out the back of the pillow on the other side of the same mark.
7. Continue to pull yarn ties of remaining pompoms through the pillow at the other marks.
8. Continue to pull yarn ties of remaining pompoms through the pillow at the other marks.
9. This is what the back of your pillow will look like. Note that if your pillow needs to be laundered, remove pompoms before washing.
Beauties, huh? Remember to get creative! Our pillows have the pompoms placed at the corners or symmetrically across the body of the pillow, but you can use this same application process to scatter the pompoms at random on your pillows. Your most important takeaway: have fun!